Social media is one of the fastest ways to get word out that your pet is lost. Keep reading for tips for your Social Media post and a list of Facebook groups to use maximize your chances of finding your pet. To download a printable PDF of the following information click here.
Tips for Your Social Media Post
A well-designed post will be shared more and hopefully get your pet found! Remember that social media is just one of many tools that you should use to find a lost pet. Follow the 9 Steps for an effective post below:
1. Post the town, state, and nearest crossroads where pet was last seen. Your social media post may travel far and wide. When people see a lost pet from their area, they’re more likely to read and remember your post.
2. Post a good quality picture of your pet, or post several photos to give a good idea of what your pet looks like. i.e. markings, size, color.
3. Include a contact phone number that people can call if your pet is spotted, or found.
4. Make sure your post is public! Check your post settings and make sure your friends will be able to share it. The more people that see it, the better the odds that your pet will be found.
5. Include the last date your pet was seen.
6. Include the approximate size and weightof your pet.
7. Include the gender. Is it a female/male and neutered/unaltered?
8. Include info about your pet’s temperament. Is it skittish, fearful, or friendly?
9. Post updates if/when the animal is spotted.
Please delete your post if/when your pet is found. This keeps pages uncluttered for other people that are searching for their lost pets.
Facebook Groups in the San Joaquin County Area
There are already numerous Facebook groups set in place to help people reunite with their lost pets. Please use the following list below to help you find your pet.
Center for Lost Pets | www.thecenterforlostpets.com
Pet Harbor | www.petharbor.com
Lost My Doggie | lostmydoggie.com
Nextdoor | www.nextdoor.com
Craigslist | www.craigslist.org
Fido Finder | www.fidofinder.com
Lost Dogs of America | lostdogsofamerica.org
Lost Pet USA | www.lostpetusa.net/home
Missing Pet Partnership | www.missingpetpartnership.org
Finding Rover | findingrover.com
To download a printable PDF of this information, please click here.